Interesting Facts About Polar Bears

Nov 26 2011 Published by under Uncategorized

polar bear scott schliebe usfwssmall Interesting Facts About Polar BearsThey are adorable, cuddly and utterly vulnerable. Polar bears grab the admiration and recognition of people the world over for their fluffy white coats as well as huggable size. They garner recognition from pet lovers for their hunting ability and survival tactics in one of the harshest environments on Planet. But despite their frustrating attraction these giants are actually in threat of being actually wiped off Earth entirely.

The Bear Basics
Polar bears are a big animals that make their homes on the frozen Arctic marine. The bears will definitely spend the majority of their lives on the ice. Males are able to grow up to ten feet in length and weigh in at over 1,300 pounds! The bears are actually carnivores, indicating they consist mainly on a diet made up of the meat of more Arctic pets. At present there are actually predicted to be just 20 to 50 thousands Arctic polar bears left in the wild. They are on the Endangered Species List.

When polar bears are on land they are actually more likely to come face-to-face with a predator, people. Occasionally people hunt polar bears as prizes as well as additional people kill polar bears while defending themselves. Folks further influence polar bears when companies build infrastructure in their natural environment, thus changing it irrevocably.

Who Is actually Helping, and Just how
Major contributors to the fight to conserve the Arctic Polar Bear provide the Coca-Cola Company as well as the World Fauna Fund. Together these businesses are actually raising money to groundwork what is creating world-wide climate change as well as working by having governmental companies to manage greenhouse gas exhausts. Additional significant ventures provide energies to prevent unfavorable human connections including poaching as well as extreme travel and leisure and shielding crucial habitat spaces such as birthing dens.

One can easily get included in the mission to cut the Arctic Polar Bears by functioning directly with the Globe Fauna Fund. Begin the gratifying quest today by seeing Polar Bears at World Wild Life.

23 responses so far

• Are Polar Bears scared of big shiny pipes? Does anyone know exactly how it is that, building a natural gas pipeline will cause the extinction of the polar bears. Wouldn’t switching cars to run on natural gas and propane reduce the green house gases that cause global warming? So if putting the bears on the endangered species list prevents the pipeline from being built and natural gas wells from being drilled, then isn’t it the endangered species list itself that is speeding up their demise?

• eric54_20 says:

I don’t know any polar bears. I would like to have a rug made of one though. Anyways, in answer to your question; I don’t know if polar bears are scared of big shiny pipes. I do know that alot of the wildlife in that wasteland known as Alaska huddles around the pipelines to stay warm. I would think that the animal lovers would think that was a good thing, maybe not.

• blackcat says:

Actually the bears and the caribou like the pipes. It’s a source of warmth. It’s those denying green people that are on the endangered species list! Natural gas and propane have been a alternative fuel source for many years. You will see more of it when the economics favor it over gasoline, and distribution becomes economical.

• I would like to introduce Al Bore and the Sierra Club wacko’ to a very hungry Knute the polar bear.

• Environmentalism is a cult. It is also socialist and communist and fascist and nazi. Well, maybe not fascist or nazi.

• JOHN WALKUP says:

Cults are usually a minority of some kind. If the “alarmists” as you label them are cultists, they must be the exception. Or else the deniers and skeptics are the cult (since they’re in fact the minority)

• 3DM says:

Good answer. Award yourself 10 points for best answer – I can hardly think of a way to improve upon it. But let me add: Well organized cults try to shield their members from opposing viewpoints by controlling information. There is a concerted effort to refuse/exclude journal submissions that disagree or even question the “prevailing” point of view. This story was hailed by Bob as an example of a skeptic’s (Soon’s) “bad” science, but it’s hard to see it as anything less than an effort to simultaneously de-legitimize both a study and a journal. This has become a all too frequent experience. See Benny Peiser’s or McIntyre & McKitrick’s snubbing. The level of organization of this disinformation campaign would make those in the former USSR’s Ministry of Information proud. The IPCC has even created more than a few disgruntled zealots with their tight-fisted control of the “consensus” view.

• Ellesar W says:

I don’t agree that it is like a cult at all! You have given some well thought out eg’s, but this is not at all how I see it. I am an urban greenie, and whilst I an well informed I have not seen Gore’s film, nor read the stuff you quote from, my sources have been many and varied, and I don’t consider them alarmist, though they are certainly within the ‘green’ movement. I don’t think that they are vague, it is clear that it is an inexact science, with so many variables that is inevitable. And it is only simple if you stick to the simple journalism – in the UK there are national newspapers with the quality of journalism to actually produce well researched articles on the subjects – the tabloids tend to be the deniers, and they do it in that Bible bashing way you describe. I don’t think that unprecedented ice floe dissipation is to be sniffed at – if it is a natural phenomena as deniers say it is the enviromental impact it will have will not be helped by people continuing to say that there isn’t a problem with resource depletion

• Suzy Q says:

Help ME SAVE THE POLAR BEARS!? What can I do to prevent the extinction of the Polar Bears ? I feel so sorry for them. Oh, was there another answer above yours #2? I know, totally ignorant to the facts, right?

• aap1970 says:

Did you know on a daily basis many species go extinct. Just something to think about.

• Would it be farfetched to think that with the melting of the icecaps? darker furred bears will begin to flourish in regions previously dominated by polar bears because of the change in color of the terrain? If the icecaps melted completely would the polar bears border on extinction? Your thoughts R & S?

• Desiree says:

Polar bears need the ice to get their food source – seal cubs. The polar regions are actually quite rich in food, the trick is to get there in the summer and not be there in the winter. Once the polar bears go extinct, there might be an explosion in the seal population but with all the toxins in the water these days, that will probably limit the numbers of seals.

• Tuberoot says:

I think that with the melting of the polar ice caps, Russia will get a better angle to attack the US. Bears? Yeah, they call them that. Darker bears? Yeah, I see them as pretty dark.

• TheBodhiTree says:

yes polar bears will be screwed, not because of camoflauging (bears have almost no natural predators), but because of change in environment and food sources as far as the icecaps melting, no bears will take over that region because there will be water, no land

• Pisces says:

it’s possible that the polar bears will go extinct.

• Heather H says:

Polar Bears in Antarctica?!?!?! Is this a good Idea? http://www.polarbearconservancy.org/Site/Programs.html The Polar Bear Conservancy’s plan is to relocate 3,000 polar bears from the Northern Arctic, where global climate change is melting native habitat, to the stable ice sheets of Antarctica. The Polar Bear Conservancy will begin relocation of the first Arctic polar bears to Antarctica on Earth Day, April 22, 2008. The relocation will be the initial step in a planned five-year program to migrate 3,000 polar bears from the Northern Arctic to the southern continent of Antarctica. Scientists say polar bears face near-certain extinction by 2020 as global climate change accelerates melting of their habitat in the Northern Arctic. Antarctica, in contrast, can be a viable home for the bears. Though experiencing melting of its own, the southernmost continent still has sufficient ice coverage to support the polar bear indefinitely in its traditional climate, and it has abundant food stocks, including penguins, seals, dolphins, and migratory Hmm… apparently this was an April Fool’s joke.

• blakeary says:

I don?t think so. You?re likely to interrupt the balance of nature in that area. It?s been done many times before. Even if the scientists think they have everything worked out it?s impossible to tell with nature. Next thing you?ll know is the polar bears have some type of bacteria in the hair that?s fatal to penguins. That?s only a lame example but there are so many possibilities that can?t be known ahead of time when introducing a new animal to a new environment.

• minnie says:

I am Christian and I believe we are supposed to be good stewards of the Earth and it’s animals. We were put in charge over them. It is a directive from God himself to do so. To do nothing less, is a sin. So, don’t lump me in with the rest. I am not of that mindset. Just my humble opinion.

• yme says:

The world is very big. Could take a long long time to overpop the planet and kill all the animals. Most likely an asteroid will kill us all first. I have two kids and go to church on Sunday. Am I radical or in a religious sub-group? You just feel guilty. I ate some endangered Alabama chicken tonight and loved it.

• Clansmen says:

Just so you know, I am not religious. I am an atheist with hardcore anti-theistic attitudes towards religion. I am also a great enthusiast of the outdoors, covering everything from hiking to camping. I love nature, but I am sick of people like you who make false emotional claims, in an attempt at coercing others to believe as you do, You have not one hard fact backing up any of your arguments and you generalize. Neither one of these things make you believable. On some of your points, like the one were you claim polar bears are dying, you have it completely backwards. Polar bear numbers are on the rise and you are simply repeating propaganda you have seen while watching television. My advice to you, is that you need to do some research so you can base your claims on evidence instead of emotions.

• xairel says:

That’s life, I guess.

• neonsunshine says:

i know! i hate when people use religion like it’s the only thing that matters!